Sunday, October 23, 2005

Growing Up Orang-utan!

This morning I was watching Animal Planet with the girls and the show was 'Growing up Orangutan'. I was only catching bits here and there in between crying and mommy requests! It was about this sanctuary that takes care of/raises abandoned Orangutans whether the mother has been killed or died. It was great as the Orangutans attended 'schools' in the forests and aren't kept in cages rather in 'homes'.

One story really tugged at my heartstrings. A mother was captured with her baby. The capturers had sprayed her eyes to prevent her from attacking. The lady that owns the sanctuary took both mother and baby in but had to separate them until the mother was better. On later inspection they found that the baby had a broken arm. So again the baby couldn't be returned to it's mother until his arm was better. After being with his 'human' mom for 3 weeks they tried putting him back with his mother as that is the goal. The goal is never to keep them from their mothers and to return them to the wild once they are rehabilitated. When he went into the cage, he was crying for his 'human' mother. And just cried and cried and cried. I felt bad for the poor little guy. Then the mom finally opened her eyes from sedation and grabbed the wee little guy as if she hadn't forgotten who he was in them 3 long weeks. She was hugging him and holding him and I just bawled!!!! How awesome that she hasn't forgotten him with him being away for 3 weeks even if the baby wanted nothing to do with her. After 4 days of being together, the baby finally came around and tried nursing but the mother's milk had all dried up and he was starving. Here I was hoping for a happy ending and the baby had to be taken away again. After trying to use hormones to stimulate her milk, they were unsuccessful and had to release her back into the wild.........without her baby :( Man, I cried! How sad that she was ready to care for the wee guy again only to be disappointed by not being able to nurse him and the ultimate rejection of being let back into the wild without her baby. So yes, I was a blubbering idiot for the morning. And Kamryn was saying 'don't be sad, Mommy'. I know it's only for the best but it doesn't make it any less sad. People should just leave these animals alone! It's just good this sanctuary exists to aid in their survival.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Hello! I'm sure I would have reacted the same way. Don't you just love Sky TV??!!
How was your weekend? It's good to hear that Lauryns getting a bit better these days. You sound better in yourself, and less anxious about the crying. It IS hard, though, isn't it. My patience wears so thin these days. I think that a number of things maybe contributing to all the crying: reaching major milestones, teething, the warmer weather, overtiredness... thank goodness it's not like this forever ; )
I'm keeping a close eye on the letterbox - thanks for posting Worms!! I look forward to checking out my cache of weapons and shooting your worms into oblivion ; )

3:33 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

When I recanted the show to Hugh later that day, I was crying again. Just really really pisses me off that people have to interfere. How sad!

Rachel - I didn't get the worms off to you until Monday. I forgot on Friday. So they should be there any day now. You better practice cause I kick Hugh's ass everytime! I am THE WORM CHAMPION HAHAHAHAHA!

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter