Saturday, October 29, 2005

Adverse Reaction

In New Zealand very few things are celebrated here. And from most I get the idea that that is how they like it and anything new or out of the norm is just lunacy or over the top. I like Halloween. Ok, no, I LOVE Halloween. I loved it as a child and I love it now since I have children. My problem is that this country as a whole views Halloween has a bad evil day and shouldn't be celebrated in anyway. Let's get back to the root of Halloween (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween). It's All Hallow's Eve, the day before All Saints Day. Nothing bad about that. Besides, for me it has nothing to do with saints or demons or god or evil! Why can't something be purely celebrated because we love it or we enjoy it? I love Halloween because we got to dress up in our favorite costumes, have parties and go trick-or-treating. And I love it for the same reasons even more so now because I have children. I don't believe in god/jesus so that must mean Christmas is evil to me because after all Christmas is about god/jesus. Ya know I give up. I don't think I should have to justify why I enjoy Halloween. This country really needs to step back and maybe pull their heads out of their asses and realize that there doesn't always have to be something bad or imply evil connotation because we enjoy celebrating something that isn't the norm in this country.

***And yes, this all comes from a work get together last night where I was outnumbered, 3 to 1, that Halloween is BAD! One lady doesn't mind handing goodies out but makes sure they pray over the loot bags before giving them away to save the children from the ghosts, goblins and gouls. OH YEAH, and she makes sure to include something about Christianity in their loot bags too. HAHAHAHAHA! Nothing like pushing beliefs. If you have that much of a problem with Halloween then don't do anything for it. But also don't say you don't want to put the kiddies off so you give something anyway along with Christianity shoved down your throat! How twisted is that????***

3 Comments:

Blogger Renee Loquasto said...

I LOVE Halloween too!! It is my favorite. I decorate more for it than Christmas almost. I beleive in God and Halloween, to me it has NOTHING to do with it. Just because I beleive in God doen't mean that everything I like or beleive in has to do with God. Halloween is just fun and they used to dress up to keep the evil spirits away. Doesn't most religons pray the keep away and "deliver us from evil". Mine does. Anyway they should just chill and go carve a pumpkin or two!!!

Happy Halloween!!!
XOXOXO
Renee

7:48 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Personally I have nothing against Halloween. Theoretically, I should be celebrating it (being raised a Catholic). Following that line of reasoning, I should have an *issue* with Guy Fawkes because it celebrates the capture of Guy Fawkes and his men (and they were Catholics, too). Did you know I'm related, distantly of course, to one of Guy's men involved?? Well I am! Still, I love looking at fireworks, so all of this ain't gonna stop me! : )
Go for it, Christi - that's what I say!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Jamie Phelps said...

LOL! Finally something I can comment on! :) Those people who are afraid of Halloween -- who say it's evil -- why are they saying this? Has a church not put that in their mind at some point that "Halloween" is evil? And if that's so, then a church is nothing but a paradox itself.

Ok, let me break this down. First off, everyone needs to know I do believe in God -- I do believe in Jesus and I do believe in that whole nine yards. I was raised Methodist -- but in the last 2 years have separated from the church because I do not agree with a lot if it's teachings.

As Christi pointed out, "All Hallows Eve" was created as the night before "All Saints Day" (November 1). This night was created so that adults could do "Mischiff". Halloween was originally and "adults only" holiday. Over the years, it gradually changed to a childrens holiday -- alloweening for dress-up, and as a reward for NOT causing mischiff, the children were given candy. Today, it's much still the same, only candy is "expected".

Now, take into consideration that Halloween is evil. Spirits, Ghouls, Ghosts and Goblins all come back from the dead and wreck havoc on earth. Um, ok -- 1st things first. What I believe, is that they're already walking around this earth to begin with. It's not like they ONLY show up on "Halloween". Secondly -- if i'm not mistaken, Jesus himself rose from the dead, and appeared twice to apostles after his death. This is taught in many christian & catholic churches -- doesn't that constitute as a "spirit"? Therefore, Spirits and Ghosts being "evil" would be a paradox to churches.

Halloween is no more evil than Christmas or St. Patrick's Day. The churches "scare" their parishioners into believing that this sacreligious holiday is purely evil. A church is nothing but a "business". Think about it! What can we do for them, so that WE can get to heaven. How we can get to heaven THROUGH them. The only where there is through your contract with the Man above. It's not my right to tell you how to get there. If God/Jesus is not an issue for you -- you still have an ultimate goal you are seeking. I just don't believe religion should be forced on you -- by a country, church or anyone else.

I'm sorry, i'm off my horse now. I just don't think religion can say that Halloween is evil -- when, in fact, if they believe what they teach -- Jesus was a spirit (and they had fortune tellers and astrologers and the whole nine yards back then -- but that's a whole other story).

Just some thoughts,
Jamie :)

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter