Sunday, September 18, 2005

Soapbox

There are very few issues that I feel strongly about and would argue over with someone. Two of these issues are natural childbirth and breastfeeding. I have seen and experienced both sides of each issue so there isn't much one could say to sway me to think otherwise.

How gobsmacked am I to read that Britney Spears chose to have a c-section so she could avoid giving birth naturally!!! How nice of her to influence our young people that c-section is a great choice if you don't want to pass a baby through your vagina! And she may say that she isn't influencing anyone and it was her personal choice. Ok, she's right, it is her personal choice but one solely based on her not wanting to 'go through the pain'. And she's wrong if she doesn't think she won't influence young girls. I think c-section is run rampant in the States and getting ever more popular here too. Women say 'I'm too scared of the pain, I don't think I can handle it'. Well how do you know if you can or can't if you don't try? And I don't think laboring to 5cm and saying 'ok, I want a c-section now' is even trying. I think every woman should have a natural first birth. EVERYONE! Unless otherwise capable. The thing is, is most women don't know their thrushhold for pain. Some will say they do but they really don't as giving birth is a completely different pain that you will ever experience. And fine, if you are the biggest wimp ever then have a c-section next time. No woman knows what their first birth will be like, no one. No woman knows what the second one will be like but ya have a pretty good idea about the pain and such. I say embrace all that you have as a woman and get informed. Find out all there is to know about the choices and decisions you make or are about to make. I don't care if your doctor is the best there is on the Earth, that doesn't mean he/she knows what's best for you or your baby. Too many times in the States women are influenced by their doctors. I've seen and heard it over and over again. But some women just don't want to know and remain ignorant.

The same goes for breastfeeding. I would be shocked to know if Britney Spears was breastfeeding! Afterall we all know that breasts are there purely for the entertainment of men and they have absolutely no function. Hogwash!!! But a majority of women have been made to think this way. Ok, not so much in New Zealand but many people think this way in the States. I think every woman should give breastfeeding a go as well. Anything worth doing takes time and perseverance. It doesn't happen over night. Of course I know some women can't breastfeed for whatever reason but I'm telling ya right now that a HUGE majority can no matter what excuse they tell themselves or everyone else. Again, I have been on both sides of this fence. And even though I couldn't breastfeed my oldest past 6 weeks that didn't stop me from trying with our new baby and I did it successfully for 6 months. But I also knew what to do and how to approach it. These baby months and years are too short. I know for me, if I didn't attempt natural childbirth or breastfeeding I would often wonder years from now what it would have been like. I am glad I have experienced both. And having had a c-section, I'm hear to say who in their right mind really wants this surgery????????? HONESTLY! Get strong about your decisions and stand up for them, who else will? Embrace being a woman and what we can do, we were made for this. Don't hand it off to some average joe doctor who thinks he/she knows best. This is what sets us apart and having children is the most beautiful thing in the world, don't let someone spoil that!

3 Comments:

Blogger Leighanne said...

I had my 2 boys naturally - the girl in the next room had a c-section and was in huge pain the whole time in hospital - I was a litle tender but that was all!!
I would never opt for more pain!!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

What can I say?.. How typical of Britney Spears! She did say, in magazines, that she was fed up of being pregnant and think she'll adopt next time around - gee whizz. Then there's Posh Spice of the "too Posh to push" brigade. Don't get me started! I don't feel too justified, as in your case, to voice my opinions too strongly as both my boys were natural births. However, I have been told by my midwives that natural births are less complicated/risky than c-sections, and you have a faster recovery time (as opposed to c-sections). Let's face it, natural birth is painful. But it's good to experience it regardless. Just don't think "pain", just get it done and enjoy the new baby! Truth is, you forget how painful it all was after a short while (that's why many people don't stop at having just the one child!)
I did hear that the US has many c-sections - maybe the docs are scared of getting sued??? Also, in Auckland it's getting common. My sister's sister-in-law chose to have a c-section for convenience!!!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

Renee,
There are many many women who prefer a c-section to natural birth. And many who have one because their doctor or OB suggests they do. I personally believe the pain is not worth it just to 'get your baby out' but then some women don't think this way. And most are persuaded by other people and their doctors. It's hard to believe but seems to be becoming a fact of life. I do hope that your sister doesn't have to have another one in the future.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter