Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Rant

The more and more I read about the States, the more I reckon I need to either stay in New Zealand or move to Australia (the happy medium lol). It appears that it's getting so that you can't even shit in public without the proper authorization or commitment that you won't show skin to ogling bystanders. It amazes me that attitudes of some in the States which appears to be the majority any more. It's ok for women to parade around in barely nothing on or attend festivals topless or show their tits for a meer bead necklace. Oh wait, this is America we are talking about and that's all of the above is sexual so that is ok and of course it has it's place in America. But see a breastfeeding woman on a plane, restuarant or park bench and it's obscene behavior. In the words of Dr. Phil, we have the tail wagging the dog here!!! How backward is this???? Of course breasts can be sexual things but that wasn't their intended purpose. If it was then there wouldn't be milk coming out of them!!!! Why should women have to even cover up in public??? Ok, fine if that makes you feel comfortable as the breastfeeding mother but why do it just to make others around you comfortable? They should be ok with it. Why take offense to it??? I'm glad that in New Zealand I haven't met anyone trying to tell me not to do it in public. There are times I covered up for various reasons (more early months) but the older Lauryn got it didn't bother me. It's difficult enough to breastfeed without having people pass judgment on you for doing it at all or in public. Get over it, people! Find something more important to complain about; ie the war, poverty, Hurricane Katrina victims, guns in schools. I mean really, does breastfeeding even rank up there with those????? Build a bridge!

9 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

What??? Oh gawd!!! Yes, there seems to be a double-standard: it's okay for breasts to be sexualised and ogled at, if that's the breast-owner's intention... but NOT if you're doing what God intended in the first place (why, as you say, does milk come out of them then??) Even now I feel a bit uncomfortable feeding out in public and try to do it discreetly, but hey, it's not always possible. Anyway, whoever else feels uncomfortable in my company can either stop staring or go somewhere else. Nicely summed up, Christi (they should build a bridge). But somehow, I don't think this issue is ever going to go away. And you're right: there are more important issues to tackle such as guns in school, violence to women and kids, war, and dictators to name but a few

10:38 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Completely agree, Christi!!! You know what I think about breastfeeding so I would not be happy to be reprimanded for feeding on a plane! Of course breasts were designed for feeding babies, not as sexual objects!! Such a strange world we live in ...

10:45 AM  
Blogger Christi said...

Jennie - thanks for stopping by! I'm American too, so feel I can adequately comment about the issues in the States. I don't hate Americans, cause if I did I would hate myself and I surely don't. I didn't say it was all Americans, some which seem to be making up the majority lately. I know the pressure I felt while living there. I think there is more of it from small town America more than others. Again thanks for stopping by ;)

12:15 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm with you Christi! I breast fed both of mine in public and I'd just flop it out, I didn't care! Brendon used to be the one to want me to cover up when I'm walking down the aisle in Pak N Save. I stood up to him and said look, I don't care, my baby is hungry if someone has a problem with it then I will deal to them. I don't remember there being such a big deal about it where I come from but then again I knew lots of breastfeeding moms so maybe I just saw the good side.

1:22 PM  
Blogger kiwicpk said...

Hi Christi, god im with you on this one!!!!

When we travelled to England via Dubai I breastfed Alexander 10 months old then) on and off the whole 24 hours, and you know I got the most awful looks and a middle eastern man spat on the ground as he walked past me feeding Alexander on the floor between a row of seats in Dubai airport. If id not been alone at the time (everyone else had gone off to the loo) id would have gotten up and said something I was so mad/upset/tired etc. It upsets me even now thinking about it.

On a side note you’d think most men wouldn’t mind the odd quick glimpse of booby every now and then would you!!!!!

Well im still feeding Alexander and he’s 17 months old today, only mornings in bed now so I guess I won’t have anyone looking cept David and he’d never miss an opportunity for a viewing….lol

2:21 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

Wow, Kim, I can't believe this is the reactions you got!!! I am completely appalled! Do people have nothing better to do than to sniff out the breastfeeding mothers and make them feel horrible for providing for their babies???? I would never think to act that way even if it wasn't something I believed in. Hannah and I have vary opinions and views on things but I would never think to spit on or near her lol. My gosh!!! People obviously have too much time on their hands to complain, obsess or be rude to mothers providing for their babies. And these people are just pathetic!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Wow Christi, I'm glad to hear that you wouldn't spit on or near me!! LOL

7:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh yea, Christi that is one thing I didn't touch in my blog and wanted to after I posted it...and that's how people run around with their tits hanging out and they aren't asked to cover up.

At some music awards two years ago or so, Lil Kim wore a dress with only one boob covered. The other nipple only had a tassle. And they aired that on NATIONAL TELEVISION? WTH? Seriously, how is breastfeeding any different at all? All you can see of the nipple is, oh wait. NOTHING! It's in the baby's mouth!

Grrr.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Ilka said...

I agree Christi, it's a freakin idiotic double standard. That allows females to display their tits and sexuality and flaunt it but when it comes to breastsfeeding it's suddenly a sin.. Well guess who made these laws? Sounds like a very male perspective to me...

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter