Sunday, April 02, 2006

My Little Secret

Ok, many of you ask how I get so much scrapbooking done or how I'm not completely exhausted at night and stay up so late. This is my secret. It's my husband. Really. His normal work week is only 36 hours. Yep, that's right, 36 hours. And it's all taken over the coarse of Thursday to Sunday. When he started this job nearly 4 years ago he was working 3 12-hour shifts. And that made for three looooooong days for both of us but I wasn't getting many breaks from Kamryn in those 3 days. Now once Lauryn came along, I told Hugh I couldn't manage those long hours with 2 littlies. He talked to his boss and they decided that spreading it over 4 days instead of 3 was fine but they still needed 12 hours on Thursday. Fine by me, means Hugh is home by 3PM on the other days.

AND that's where I get the time. Mostly when Lauryn has her nap during the day, it's anywhere from 3-4 hours and when Hugh is home. I'm lucky that he is home to watch them or give me the time I need if I need it. I realize this. But I also know that I am one to tell my husband when I can't handle something or when we need a change or when I need the time. In nearly 6 years of being together, I've learned that this is what I have to do in order to remain sane lol.

Hugh has already worked 35 hours this week and probably working 12 today. He worked both Tuesday, Thursday and Friday in the afternoon/night. Thursday was 14 hours and Friday was 9 hours in the evening starting at noon. It's good when he is gone at night or in the evening because I can pretty much do what I want when the kids are in bed. But after one night of this, then I get exhausted. It's me and the girls for 5 full on days and I'm not getting that break. When Lauryn has her naps I can have a break but usually I want a nap myself lol. Hugh and I share in cooking duties as well. It's not forced on the other but we each cook differently and it's nice to have that difference throughout the week. So for 5 days I've been doing the cooking, bathing, cleaning, etc. And yes, I am exhausted. I realize this is the norm for most but not for my family. I look forward to Hugh being home early and us having time as a family. That's hard to do when he's working long hours.

So that's my secret. That's why I don't seem to tire so easily. I have quite a good relief system ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

Holy cow, Lauryn has 3-4 hour naps?? Tyler has 1 hour usually, sometimes 1 1/2 hours if we are lucky!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

Yeah, this hasn't always been the case. It's probably only been about a few weeks that she has been sleeping this long but it had been only 2 hours. She's still waking at night though and I mean between 3-4AM and then she is generally up between 7-8. When she first started doing this about a three weeks ago, I would check on her nearly every 10 minutes, worried something had happened lol. I'm thankful for that nap!

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter