Tuesday, January 31, 2006

28th or 29th???

***Before I start this post, I want everyone to remember I am in New Zealand and this will be from my point as I live here. LOL sorry but this could get rather confusing!***

My birthday is on the 28th of January. That is a fact. It's also a fact that I was born in Illinois on the 28th of January. Now I am mentioning this because my mother finds it necessary to call me every year for my birthday when it is the 29th here! And do you all know why??? Because I wasn't born in New Zealand, I was born in the States. Therefore, when it's the 28th there it's the 29th here and since I wasn't born in New Zealand she calls to wish me a happy birthday when it's the 28th there. Ok, why??? It's not like I changed my birthday when I came here nor do I celebrate it on the 29th because that would be when it's the 28th in the States. This really pisses me off. My birthday is the same no matter where I live, that doesn't change. For some reason she also thinks that Lauryn's birthday would no longer be on Veteran's Day in the States if we were to move back. Um, why??? Her birthday remains on the 11th no matter where we are. It's not like if we were in the States we would celebrate her birthday on the 10th. Really what is the rationale??? Honestly, does anyone see the point here besides her pissing me off about the whole thing? Why not just call your daughter when you know she will be celebrating her birthday instead of pissing her off the day after her birthday. I'm over it. So this year she will get a call for her birthday on the 13th here because afterall her birthday is on the 13th but who cares if it will be the 12th there!

PS: I asked if she got me something for my birthday and she said 'the same thing you got me' and I said 'which was what' and she said 'nothing'. Tit for tat! She is my mother, even if I don't get something for her shouldn't she want to get something for her daughter??? If I rightly remember she doesn't have but maybe a couple of people to buy for. I didn't know giving meant you have to give something to get something. Besides I didn't ask for a million dollars, in fact I didn't ask for anything nor do I ever but a decent acknowledgement would have been nice.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! A day or two late!

I agree...giving should come from the heart, not from the fact you got a gift first.

I can understand FORGETTING that the days are different on the other side of the world, however, thinking that your daughter's birthday won't be on Veteran's Day anymore when you move back to the States? Is your mom starting dementia???

3:46 AM  
Blogger Christi said...

One of my friends said 'your mom is nuts' lol. That about sums it up! It's not like she hasn't had plenty of time to get used to me living here. It's been nearly 6 years besides she understands the time difference when it comes to calling me.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I don't know what's worse... a parent remembering your birthday but wishing you on the wrong date; or a parent forgetting your birthday altogether. The last time I actually spoke to my Dad was November 2003 at my sister's wedding. Since then, I'll I've had from him are short, sharp e-mails either asking me to do things for him (no "how are you???") or abusing my mother. I think I'd rather have no contact at all, and would forfeit him wishing me happy birthday for the sake of a quiet life lol

2:53 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Oh dear, Christi!!!
I've been away on holiday so I wasn't here to wish you a very happy birthday. I hope you did have a lovely day, despite your mother forgetting to ring on the correct day. I can't understand her logic at all on this one!!
Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY girl!!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter