Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Abnormal Cells

Well today I had a repeat pap smear after having one come back abnormal six months ago. Now I have to say that my MALE GP did my smear 6 months ago and was rather 'quick' about it. And after it was done, I didn't hear anything for 3 weeks. He said if I didn't hear anything then that would mean everything was normal. So imagine my shock when I got the abnormal result in the mail. I know most women find this prodedure uncomfortable and not the less we endure it for health reasons.

So today the test was done by a FEMALE nurse. She also went into more detail about an abnormal smear than my GP did. She said that 1/3 of women return to normal after an abnormal one, a 1/3 of women continue to have abnormal smears but they don't get worse, and the last 1/3 get worse results. So I'm thinking, great, wonderful! My GP just acted like it was nothing. She also said that if this one comes back normal then I will be referred onto a gynocologist for further testing. Lovely!

She then starts asking me how my 'water works' are. I say that lately I am barely making it to the bathroom and when I have to go, I have to go. She said that she would check my pelvic floor muscles during the exam and also said that 'you are carrying a bit of weight down there'. Gee, nice of her to make me aware that I am FAT and have a HUGE gut putting pressure on my pelvic floor. How elated was I when during the exam she asked me to tighten my pelvic muscles and I almost squeezed her fingers off!!!! Later she is talking about holding my pee while peeing to see how strong my muscles are. I say I can do that and I hold it quite well, thank you! I said at least I know where my pelvic floor muscles are as some women do not. And she further agreed with me.

Anyway, the exam was long and drawn out. And uncomfortable. Then she couldn't find my cervix. I'm thinking, I know it's in there because I've had kids. Then she tries locating it with her fingers and pushing on my belly saying 'well I won't be able to find it through there'. Another fat jab!!!!!!! I couldn't win! She finally finds my cervix and goes 'there it is, one cervix'. At this point I am wondering if this 50-year old lady is competent to even be doing this lol! So now I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for a result in a weeks time. I've never had an abnormal smear and I'm religious about getting them once a year so yes I am a bit paranoid.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Yes, male GPs aren't exactly the most understanding or tactful. It sounds like you should find another family doctor and nurse, and give these ones the heave-ho. As for abnormal smears, I have family who have them for various reasons. It ain't easy being a woman, is it?!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I've had an abnormal smear and then been perfectly normal smears thereafter. Sometimes it's just a matter of contamination on the dr's or lab's end. Here's to hoping that's all it is.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Like the other have said, abnormal smears are usually nothing, I'm sure that will be the case for you.
And yeah, I would ditch these people and find a new doctor. I can highly recommend mine - just thought I would suggest that, since we live near each other. Email me if you want names/numbers etc.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Christi said...

Lisa - where is your blog? Am I missing something or do you just not have one? Hmmmmmm, maybe you just like being a phantom lol!

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter