Monday, January 29, 2007

She Still Doesn't Get It

So my birthday was on the 28th (more about that in another post) and can you all guess when my mother calls me???? On the 29th in New Zealand because afterall I was born in the States and it is the 28th there today. Same story every year, hasn't changed since I moved here. She can't get her head around the whole concept. Is it really that hard to go out of your way to call on the 27th (US time) to wish your daughter a happy birthday where she is celebrating it on the 28th (in New Zealand)? She says she does it because when Lauryn was born I said it was actually the 10th there. And that is true but doesn't mean we celebrate it on the 10th when we are there. I find it rather cool that my kids can be born on different days lol. However, that doesn't mean that when we are in the States celebrating Lauryn's birthday for the 11th of November, that we will be doing it on the 10th because that is actually when she was born in NZ! I mean, how much sense does that make??? And I guess if mom is ever here celebrating my birthday, she'll be doing it on the 29th here when it is actually my birthday in the US. So she won't be having cake and ice cream or any celebratory things that go along with my birthday on the TWENTY-EIGHT! Ok, honestly I don't really understand how or why this is so hard to get besides the fact she can't just let it go and try to make me happy on the day I celebrate my birthday here! But then I'm sure there is some exception to her thinking, there generally always is.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

This is a long-running issue with you and your Mom, isn't it?! I remember this a while ago, and couldn't quite get her logic when it comes to ringing you on the 29th (US time), when YOU, the BIRTHDAY GIRL is in NZ and it's a totally different time-zone. Shouldn't she be doing what makes YOU happy?! I guess parents sometimes have these annoying idiosyncracies and are quite stubborn when it comes to their point of view, even when it comes at a cost (ie. upsetting others). Looking on the bright side, at least she remembered, even if it was the next day, and I'm envious of you for that, lol!

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well just look at it this way Christi you get an extended birthday....in nz and well wishes from ya mum over there. I can understand the frustration though.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

Rachel - sometimes I *wish* she didn't remember it as it would make it less frustrating for me lol.

Janine - this is the seventh year, so after the first couple if get tiresome.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Looking at the bright side, at least your mom calls you!

I've been here nearly 8 1/2 years and I've NEVER had a phone call from my parents. The only family that has ever called was my Aunt after Madelynn was born and I got to talk to my grandpa. And my best friend from home she calls all the time.

My parents are just too cheap to call. ugh!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Yes, I remember this happening last year too on the girls' birthdays I think! Bummer that it seems to be a recurring trend with her ...

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter