Thursday, August 24, 2006

Weighty Issues

So I've taken the step towards losing weight by changing doctors and working on a weight program through the practice. This hasn't been an easy decision for me. Since being diagnosed with my thyroid condition in 2003, my weight has just sky-rocketed. But all my old doctor could tell me was 'it's not your thyroid, eat less and exercise more'. Whatever. I would do that with little to no effect in losing weight. I felt this was it. This is my life. I sensibly know that I can't have another baby being the weight I am. I don't want to get pregnant at this weight. So after talking with the doctor that Hugh and the girls see, I realized I needed a change. I now see Dr. Hall along with the rest of my family. He filled me in on a few things. He let me know that my thyroid isn't the problem. He did let me know that my metobolism is such that it makes it near impossible to lose weight and that anything that causes me to gain (ie: pregnancy) is likely to stay on. Which is true. After both of my pregnancies, I never lost the weight I gained. So I couldn't handle another one now knowing this info. He did mention that some people just can't lose weight and I could be one of those but he would certainly do what he could to help me. And as a medical professional it was his job to try. Those were words I had been waiting to hear for nearly 3 years. No one has wanted to help. No referrals or programs. I literally felt stuck and that always leads to eating more. So the options available to me are an in-house program they do or a dietician. I'm starting with the in-house one and seeing if we can pin point where my problems lay.

For a week I had to write down what I eat. Well, me being me, I felt like it was my last supper of good things lol so I binged. Then yesterday was my appointment with the nurse. Obviously she knew and I knew that the sweets/candy/chocolate had to go. I wasn't silly, I knew it would. Overall she was pretty happy with what I had eaten. So for the next two weeks I have to work on cutting portions and no junk. And she isn't making me cut breads just yet. YIPPEE! So I'm up for the challenge. She was also happy that I was exercising. Which I have for about 6 or more weeks now. We are being reasonable with this program. I am ultra stoked I am getting proper help now and that someone can work with me on this. And I know it's a long trek, I'm not silly. So we have set my goal at 1kg a month. Which is comfortable for me. Of course I would like to lose a bit more than that per month but I would rather lose more than my goal than be under my goal. And I've been so disappointed in the past about things not moving that I didn't want to put false expectations on myself. Dr. Hall told me it would take 2 years to lose the weight. I figured as much. That is why I said I want to get pregnant again in 2 years. And no I won't be stating my weight here but when I start losing the weight I'll be posting how much I lose so I'm sure ya all can add that up ;)

5 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

I'm glad your appointment went well on Wednesday. I'm sure the programme will help you heaps and you know I am always here to support you!! YOU CAN DO IT!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm so glad to see you starting and almost at the same time as me!!! Good luck! I'll be watching and praying for your success!

12:36 PM  
Blogger LesleyC said...

All the best. Great that you are getting help.
You left a comment on my blog and asked where Butterfly Creek is. It is by the Auckland Airport.
http://www.butterflycreek.co.nz/
Such an awesome place for kids (and adults). Has a park, a small farm and a train (xtra)part of it.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Janine said...

Well done Christi on chnaging doctors!! Am pleased you have found someone who listens.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Janine said...

whooo hooo I finally remembered my name and password ;-)

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter