Monday, June 12, 2006

Decisions

It seems Hugh and I have many decisions to make for our life in the near future. We are already moving from the Hibiscus Coast in order to find a slower paced life style and hopefully cheaper housing. But we have been thinking of other options as well. I'm never 100% sure Hugh and I will ever own a house here in New Zealand. I get soooooooo perturbed over house prices and the small amount of land that comes with them. Of course you can buy a house with some land but then you are paying through the nose. We are definitely leaving here in January. We aren't sure what we are going to but we need a change.

Another option that we have been pondering is going back to the States for one or two years. The girls and I are going back in October 2007 for a long stay but thought we might as well make it a move and of course Hugh would follow a few weeks later. This brings up many issues and problems for me. We would be living with my mom as we won't be taking anything and everything we have left that won't be sold will be in storage. Mom and I have a tense relationship the way it is and adding my family into that, may make things pretty difficult. I'm not sure how easy it would be for Hugh to find a job. We would be leaving our animals behind. For the most part I think my concern lies mostly with living with mom. She will have rules for her house but we have rules for our girls and she can't feel she can undermind us which I think could happen. It's a tough call. Hugh wants to do it, he's all for it. I'm more hesitant. My gut is kinda saying go for it especially while the girls are little and we can always come back to New Zealand. I just wish we knew things would work living with mom without having to sell our things in case we do come back to New Zealand after 3 months. Ohhhhhhhhh, decisions decisions decisions!!!! I hate being in limbo!!!!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

Wow, that is tough. We are very lucky that we bought our house when we did (2000) because we could never afford anything here now. And it is where we want to live. I know we are fortunate that we got our house so cheap and did it all privately (no real estate agent fees).
I can understand you wanting to move somewhere cheaper, but I WILL MISS YOU!! I know we have been internet friends much longer than we have been "real life" friends but I will miss you anyway! Thank goodness for email and blogs!!

So, having said all that, I think you should write a big list of the pros and cons of each of the options you're thinking of. Look over it together, think on it for a while, and then make your decision. That might help you to weigh up the good and bad?

7:45 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

It is very hard to decide isn't it!! Been there done that...almost daily. But it will be at least another 6 years before we head back. I've email you a list of things regarding moving so check your email!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Christi
it is a really tough decision to make, but like you said it's better to do it now while the girls are young and able to cope with change more readily.
Why don't you move down to Wellington? ; ) heh heh
No, seriously, I reckon it's best to go where your heart tells you. I don't think staying with your Mom, long term or at all (sorry Christi's mom!!!) is a good idea. It's just that I've known you four years now, and remember the history that you have with her. I reckon go and travel overseas, but maybe just for a working holiday. Property is much cheaper outside of the main centres. What is your budget? Will you go where Hugh gets a job (ie secure a job first)?
Bruce and I also thought of going to the Uk (most likely Scotland) for a working holiday. But now that Bruce's parents live here in Wellington, the likelihood of us going overseas is very slim. It's a small price to pay for having Bruce's parents so close that we can look after them, and they can spend more time with their grandkids.
All the best!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Renee Loquasto said...

Hey, It's easy for me to say come on over!!! But I know that if you TRY to live with your Mom you'll leave the states before I see you!!!;) I don't think you should try and stay with your Mom permently, you know you'll lose because she's the grandma who has to make up for lost time. Maybe Hugh can get a job in St. Louis and you can live in OKAWVILLE!!!!!! There is an open apartment just up the street from me ;) Don't worry about living in Okawville again, you won't ever see "them" around. They are only in one spot and that's it. No matter what happens, I can't wait to see you in October!!!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Wow, that is tough.

*HUGS* I wish you the best of luck in doing what is best for you and your family. I could never live with my parents again...Love them dearly but couldn't do it :)

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter